Monday, April 18, 2011

Honestly, I Kinda Think Ferb is a Little Evil

Okay, yeah.  I love Phineas and Ferb.  Sometimes, I even watch it if my kids aren't around.  What can I say?  It's just a darned enjoyable little show.  Sure, it's pure escapist fun, but I think I really just like the characters.

Phineas, in particular, has always been a big reason behind my enjoyment of the show.  I just love that the kid is completely without guile.  All his adventures are completely in the spirit of fun and, occasionally, for no other reason than to help his friends and family.

Enter Ferb.  Ostensibly Phineas' partner-in-fun and devoted brother.  He silently helps Phineas in whatever scheme, doing what he must to Make It Work.  His brevity of speech, his careful choice of words, are evidence enough of his intelligence.  But, for me, it's always seemed like there's something more.  Wheels turning in different directions, perhaps.  While I believe Phineas really is just as innocent as he's made out to be, Ferb has a sarcastic streak that belies his friendly stoicism.

Take, for instance, this episode:



Pay special attention to the segment between 9:23 and 9:44.

This scene, for me, best illustrates the fundamental difference between the two boys.  Ferb, with his subtle barb and Phineas, with his heartfelt congratulations. 

Then there's the episode in which Ferb leaves his brother to help Dr. Doofenshmirtz get his hands on a volatile and dangerous chemical just because he thinks his daughter is hot.

Ultimately, I think, Ferb loves his brother, and enjoys their time together.  But something tells me that he's also in it for other reasons.  That there's something else happening in that F-shaped cranium of his.  To be honest, I'm not 100% sure he'd be adverse to becoming Doof's son-in-law and taking over the family business.  Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment